Eye health services are available to maintain an excellent vision. Eye health is just as important as the other parts of the body. For this reason, we have to ensure that we are doing what’s best for our eyes. Eye problems can also occur, such as cataracts. Cataracts occur when the lens inside the eye becomes cloudy. However, there is an available treatment for it. You can find out more about cataract surgery through this link.
Eye health services
Eye health services are necessary to determine the exact health condition of the eyes. We have to undergo eye tests if required to determine if the eyes need support from devices, such as eyeglasses or contact lenses.
You might work with different eye doctors when it comes to eye care. Eye health services vary depending on your specific needs. We have two main types of eye doctors, an ophthalmologist and an optometrist.
Let’s differentiate the two doctors and know what services they offer individually. First, we will start with an ophthalmologist.
An ophthalmologist went to a medical school. They have undergone a 1-year internship and had a residency of three years. A fellowship can follow after that, for about one to two years. Furthermore, an ophthalmologist can offer complete eye care services consisting of the following.
- They can provide vision services, such as eye examinations.
- Besides that, they also provide medical eye care to treat glaucoma, iritis, and chemical burns.
- Additionally, they can also offer eye surgeries to address eye trauma, crossed eyes, cataracts, and other eye problems.
- Through eye checkups, they can also diagnose other diseases, such as diabetes or arthritis. Besides that, they can apply the treatment as well.
- An ophthalmologist can also conduct plastic surgery for conditions that affect the eye’s aesthetic appearance.
Ophthalmologic services are essential to maintain our eyes’ health. These ophthalmologic services can vary according to the type of practice and specialty in which they work. Aside from that, they have to diagnose the exact eye problem’s cause to apply the proper treatment.
After college, an optometrist will spend four years in a professional program and gets an optometry degree. A few optometrists get additional training or specialty fellowship. Optometrists are the doctors in charge of the primary health care for the eye. They focus on regular vision care, which also includes the following.
- First and foremost, they can perform eye exams and vision tests.
- Secondly, they can prescribe and fit eyeglasses or contact lenses for their patients.
- Next, they monitor the eye conditions relative to health diseases, such as diabetes.
- They are also in charge of managing and treating eye problems, such as dry eyes and glaucoma.
- Additionally, they can also provide low-vision aids and vision therapy.
In actuality, these two eye doctors often work together to provide the best eye care for their patients. Ophthalmologic services are at their best when these two doctors carry them on. On the other hand, there is another person for this team, the optician. Please see some details about them below.
An optician is not a doctor. For this reason, they cannot give eye exams. An optician has completed a 1-year or 2-year degree, certificate, or diploma. Additionally, they are most likely to fill in the prescription as what the eye doctor says. Here are the other tasks that an optician can do.
- They can check the patient’s lens prescription.
- Additionally, they can provide, adjust, and repair eyeglasses, frames, and contact lenses.
- They are also in charge of taking patient’s facial measurements.
- Moreover, they assist in choosing which type of lenses or frames will work best for the patient.
- Lastly, they are also in charge of ordering and confirming eye products, such as glasses and contacts.
In general, you will be the one to decide which doctor you will be working with. The doctor to select will depend on your needs. Either a recommendation from your doctor, friend or family or someone you like and trust.
Eye health services at every stage of life
In every stage of life, the eyes’ needs might be different for every person. For this reason, eye health services can also vary according to age. Moreover, each person can also differ with their actual eye conditions.
On the other hand, you can do something to keep the eyes healthy for an extended period. Please take some time watching this short video to know how to care for your eyes.
Your eyes are your best tools to navigate the world around you. If you don’t care for them, you will lose them even at such a young age. For this reason, do not hesitate to undergo eye health services if you already noticed that there is something wrong with it. With this in mind, you can prevent permanent vision loss.