Skin tear treatments are essential to prevent infection from getting into the wound. Furthermore, you can either use home remedies or seek medical attention. Treatments depend on the condition of the tear on your skin. If you neglect your skin condition, it can lead to permanent scars. Moreover, it can affect your self-confidence as well. But the good news is, Perth-based Restoration Cosmetic clinic offers services that can help you improve your skin condition.
What are skin tears?
Skin tears are wounds that you can get from shear, friction, or blunt trauma. Moreover, a wound can occur in any part of the body. Aside from that, individuals with fragile skin conditions tend to be more susceptible to tear.
Some people’s tears in the skin might become complex, chronic wounds. These cases signify that these individuals have healing problems. For this reason, treatments are essential to keep the wound free from infection.
Aside from that, treatment application is necessary to protect the skin and tissues surrounding the affected area. Keeping the site moist also promotes a faster healing process.
Applying wound care at home
There are cases wherein you cannot immediately proceed to a medical facility. You may try to follow the simple tips mentioned below.
- Wash your hands first to remove the bacteria present.
- Try to control the wound’s bleeding.
- Gently clean the wound using clean, warm water.
- Dry the affected part by patting a clean towel on it. Do this gently.
- If the skin flap is still there, try to bring it back to its original position. Do not cut the skin flap off the wound.
- A non-stick pad will help to cover up the wound and free it from dirt.
- Lastly, use a stockinette to keep it in place. Use this instead of adhesives or tapes.
As we already mentioned earlier, some wounds may not be relieved using home remedies. For these cases, they might require medical attention. Below are the symptoms you can consider to know that you need to see your doctor.
Seeking medical attention
The following reasons should make you decide to see your doctor right away:
- You already notice redness, swelling, pus, or a foul smell coming from your wound.
- Secondly, the bandage that you wrapped around your wound already soaks in blood.
- Furthermore, you need to seek the doctor’s help if your pain from the wound worsens.
- Additionally, your wound tear needs medical attention once it opens up again.
- Aside from that, wounds that cause you fever also needs attention from your doctor. Infection is highly possible.
- For the most part, the wound tear already causes you several health concerns.
Generally speaking, if you have no idea what to do to your wound tear, the best thing you can do is proceed to the nearest medical facility. Bringing yourself to a medical facility will help you prevent incurring infection.
Consider watching this short video that shows wound care management using technological advancements.
Preventing skin tears
Home remedies and medical treatments are available to address wound tears. However, wouldn’t it be better to prevent it from occurring in the first place? Aside from that, preventing wound tears also keep you away from spending money for treatments. Here are some tips to avoid wound tears.
- Keep your skin moist. Dry skin makes it susceptible to more wound tears. Be cautious in using skin products. Avoid those products that can cause skin dryness.
- Observe safety at all times. Take extra cautions on your movements to avoid bumping anything that can scrape your skin.
- Try to wear protective clothing if possible, especially if you’ll be in a place where you can highly get scrapes.
- Eat a well-balanced diet that can help maintain your healthy skin.
- Declutter your house. Remove things that are no longer active inside your home. Additionally, you may consider padding sharp edges, such as your furniture.
Skin Tear Treatments: Conclusion
Skin tears are treatable. You have the choice to treat it at home. However, if the wound tear is severe, going to a medical provider is better. Furthermore, if you notice even a small wound, it would be best to treat it immediately. You have to act on that small wound immediately to prevent it from getting worse. If you suffer from injuries in your mouth it is also best to visit a nearby dentist to check on you.